Wednesday, June 30, 2010

On the design floor....

The design floor. That makes me laugh! It's the patch of floor in the lounge room that's large enough to take on bits of fabric to form quilt tops, bottoms and basting activity once the rug is rolled up and the coffee table is pushed back. It's not near my sewing machine and periodically piecing mistakes are made as I've generally forgotten which side I'm meant to stitch by the time I get to the machine. Oh well....if I win the lottery....!
This quilt is a pattern from Patchwork at Central Park and was displayed at the recent Australasian Quilt Convention and also appeared in the May edition of Better Homes and Gardens. Silly me didn't buy a copy of the magazine when it was available, not even from AQC. When I got home the next day, the June issue was out and after a failed attempt to buy a back order (who ever heard of a Better Homes and Gardens not being availalbe on back order?), I managed to score it from my local library.
It uses a combination of prints and solids. The pattern recommends fat quarters but equally, you could use metreage as repeating a print or two pulls it together. The squares are huge. I cut them to 18" (not 17 7/8ths) to compensate for cutting inaccuracy in the first instance and have trimmed them back to 17". I found I did get some slippage joining the 1/2 square triangles. Smaller ones are way simpler to piece accurately. I'm using some of Sandi Henderson's Ginger Blossom fabrics and a few fat quarters I've picked up along the way from Spotlight.
I'm intending on giving this quilt to my sister in law who has a birthday coming up very soon. The top should come together quickly but I seem to be doing a couple of other things at the same time and that's slowing down the process. Nothing new there!

No comments:

Post a Comment