Sunday, July 11, 2010

On the Q.A.Y.G. bandwagon....

I know I said I wasn't going to start anything new....but surely reducing scraps is completing a process rather than starting afresh? Well that's my theory and I'm sticking to it!
'Quilt as you go' has taken quilting blogland by storm, seen here and here and with a great tutorial here. The concept first appeared in Suzuko Koseki's Patchwork Style, which is a book I've owned for some time but was never brave enough to try but now there's no stopping me....except more scraps!
I cut my batting to 13" square and have trimmed them down to 12 1/2". I've also used a layer of bleached calico on the bottom to keep the fluff out of my machine. And because I had a plethora of shorter strips I've also made some 7"-8" versions that I will trim down to 6 1/2" to piece with the larger blocks. The prccess takes a while but the logic is that you don't have to heavily quilt the finished product - just a few rows of stitching in the ditch to hold the backing onto these blocks. In a night and a day I managed 5 large and 2 small blocks.
It will take quite a few more blocks to create something worthwhile so I'll shelve these....make some more quilts....have more scraps....and make some more Q.A.Y.G's. Simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment