Thursday, September 9, 2010

Thursday night dinner magic.....

As a working mum I constantly worry about what to cook for dinner each night. It has to be quick and it has to suit everyone.
I know I'm not alone in this daily dilema.
Sometimes I wake up immediately wondering what we're having for dinner (tragic). Most mornings I can make a decision before I leave for work. Take something out of the freezer or work out what needs to be purchased from the supermarket. If I haven't sorted it in the morning, I start thinking about it again around lunchtime. If it's not sorted by 2pm, I start getting anxious. Sometimes I fantasise about telling the fam to 'get yourselves sorted'....but that's pure fantasy and quite frankly not worth the angst! But the reality is, the pressure of having to make a decision can bring out the best. Tonight was one of those nights. An absolute winner in the dinner time department.
Tucked in the freezer was a kind of UOIT....unidentified object in tuppaware! I took the lid off and it looked awful. Kind of, no....exactly like, brown and blobby meaty stuff. However, I took a smell and it was divine. Left over beef stout casserole. But a really small quantity. Not really enough to feed a family of four by itself. However there were also a few sheets of puff pastry.
So tonight we had mini beef stout pies and when I say mini, I do mean mini. They were formed in the muffin tray. There was but one each along with a helping of creamy mash and vegetables.
The first positive was from fussy L...."can I have one of those?".
The next were the responses during dinner...."are there any more?". (....um....no...)
And finally, "that was great....can we have this again...?".
It's lovely when it works! Now to recreate the magic! Pass the stout.

No comments:

Post a Comment