Saturday, March 3, 2012

Red Sail Modern Mini....

Modern Mini Challenge
I often bang on about how I can't bare to part with too many of my scraps. They have to be pretty small to end up in my bin! I keep them all filed away in various zip lock bags and sort them by shape, size and format such as strips, squares or smallish pieces smaller than a fat 1/4.
Recently when Clare invited us to make quilts for her Retro Baby Quilt market project I gathered a bag of little cream triangles that I'd cut from my Floral Bouquet blocks. I've learnt from experience that triangles cut from 2 1/2" strips set beautifully in 2 1/2" squares. So I set about cutting a pile of 2 1/2" grey blocks and set in the cream triangles. I made one block 4" and set in a larger red triangle.I placed each of the triangles facing the same way, set to the right hand side of the block. I think they look like yacht sails.
This is a little mini quilt 27" x 23". It's quilted in straight line quilting and bound in a red and white polka dot.
It's my entry into Ellison Lane Quilts Modern Mini Quilt Challenge.

10 comments:

  1. that is so cool! I love that the red triangle is bigger than all the others. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this! It is my favorite. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you used the red, very clever :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous mini- the pop of red amongst the white sails is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty and elegant - I see the yachts!

    What size are the gray squares that you cut? It looks like you did a little stitch and flip with the white triangle on a larger gray square to make your sails.

    Very cute - well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris. Thank you. The little grey squares are 2 1/2" and I set the triangles to the side and flip them down. A bit like Gwen Marston's liberated style...that's why the triangle size varies or my not-so perfect stitching, one or the other!

      And thank you to all the lovely people who took the time to comment above. I really appreciate it! Theresa

      Delete
  6. This is such an awesome mini. Love the precision and order and little pop of red. Thanks so much for entering the Modern Mini Challenge! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pop of red too - makes me think of Midnight Oils "Red Sails in the Sunset" album!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this - sometimes simple colour schemes really do the job!

    ReplyDelete