Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Scrappy pineapple....

Blogging is rare these days but this quilt finish is so lovely I just had to share....or at least record it so I can review in years to come!

This is my scrappy pineapple quilt that I started to make blocks for last January.
After falling madly in love with Crazy Mom's Plenty of Pineapples version that capped off her 2014 year and her 101 scrap finishes, I had to have one.

It was the perfect sewing project to take away to our shack last summer where I have limited sewing facilities. I set myself up for sewing all of my 20 blocks at once, each growing at the same level of intensity, row by row. It allowed me to balance my colours matching each strip opposite each other. I guess this ensured a little bit of colour continuity for me. I managed to get to 11" sized blocks before having to come home. And once we did, we all went back to work and school and those blocks have sat in their unfinished state for the last 8 months or so.
I rifled past them in the storage box every now and then and funnily enough started to like the blocks less. I was using scraps, many of which had been turned over in the scrap pile for some time so I was probably a little sick of them. Other fabrics had been gifted, thrown into the blocks because they weren't really my usual choices. So the whole idea of a pineapple quilt of my own loomed less and less on the near horizon.

That is until L invited us to her 'Girls Night In' fundraiser for cancer research which also came with a request for raffle items. Naturally, I thought I could easily make a quilt and set about sorting through the cupboard. My first instinct was to make a kitchen sink quilt out my orphan blocks. (Which I did make but fell soooo in love with it couldn't bear to part with it...but that's another story.) Another sort through bits and pieces and I chanced upon the now very buried pineapple blocks. Bingo, these only needed corners and they'd be finished! That done, multiplied by 20 blocks and a 5" border delivered a lovely little lap size quilt of 52" x 64".

And guess what? I love it again. Isn't it funny how that happens? But I had the good sense after my first about-face to tell L that it was for her straight away, that way I couldn't change my mind again!
The binding is scrappy, cobbled together from left over ends of quilt bindings. The backing fabric was gifted by M. Add that to the gifted scraps that appear in the blocks I feel so many of my sewing friends have made this quilt come to life for L's fundraiser. I'm almost wishing I might be able to win it back!

And to celebrate this finish, I'm linking up to this quilt's inspiration, none other than Crazy Mom's Finish it up Friday!

9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!! Great way to use scraps and I really like the backing too. Someone will be a lucky winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my this is amazing! I love it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! Great use of scraps, good for you for getting it done and for giving it away! Kat @ katandcatquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! Great use of scraps, good for you for getting it done and for giving it away! Kat @ katandcatquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a nice quilt, it looks so cozy and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a beautiful quilt! I'd have a very difficult time letting it go. I recently made a quilt that I fell out of love with and donated. It's an easy fix, until I have to let go! Here's hoping you do win it back. You could store it on that quilt ladder where it really does fit beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! That turned out to be beautiful, didn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love scrappy and pineapple blocks. I paper pieced one a few years ago and it's a favorite. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete